The Heart of God for Chertsey

Posts in category History

History of the church

History of the church

St. Peter’s Church (north side) History and Guide. The Porches You enter by the South Porch which was erected as part of the rebuilding of 1806.   The stone came from Chobham Heath and from other local sources.  The stair case leads to the South Gallery, which once ran the whole length of the church and […]

Chertsey Abbey

Chertsey Abbey

The Benedictine Abbey of St. Peter, Chertsey Chertsey Abbey was founded in AD 666 by Frithuwold, Viceroy of Surrey, which was then ruled by Wulfhere, King of Mercia under a the following Royal charter: + Regnante domino nostro Jhesu Christo in perpetuum . Ego Wlfarius rex Mercianorum . largiente domino et omnibus sanctis ejus omnes […]

Chertsey Abbey Charters

Chertsey Abbey Charters

Sources   S 69 A.D. 666 x 675. Wulfhere, king of Mercia, to the church of St Peter, Chertsey; confirmation of grants of land by Frithuwold, subregulus, and Eorcenwold. Latin. + Regnante domino nostro Jhesu Christo in perpetuum . Ego Wlfarius rex Mercianorum . largiente domino et omnibus sanctis ejus omnes terras quas Fritheuualdus subregulus et beatus […]

Read Latest

Read this week's Notices

Other News:

Development Project 2019-2022

This is our church – take a look, it’ll take literally a minute