Our history

St. Peter's Church has an ancient history relating to the Abbey of Chertsey, founded in 666 and dedicated to St. Peter.

The Abbey was dissolved in 1537 during the English Reformation. Archbishop Thomas Cranmer completed the English Prayer Book in Chertsey during the reign of Henry V111 and some church historians suggest that he may have consecrated some of the very first Anglican bishops within our parish church following the dissolution of the Abbey.

The Chancel and Bell Tower are medieval although the Nave was rebuilt in the 19C.

"There was an Old Lady of Chertsey, Who made a remarkable curtsey; She twirled round and round Till she sank underground, Which distressed all the people of Chertsey."

Edward Lear